What are the basics of ‘Planning Permission’ ?

Q: Could you explain the basics of Planning Permission? 

A: Planning Permission, in  simple  terms,  is like asking if you can do a certain piece of building work. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.

Parliament has given the main responsibility for planning to local planning authorities (usually, this is the planning department of your local council). Therefore, if you have any queries about a particular case, the first thing to do is to contact your planning services company (like

ourselves) or your local planning authority.

The owner is responsible for seek, or for not seeking, planning permission. If required, it should be granted before any work begins.

You can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights.”

They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Similarly, commercial properties have different permitted development rights to dwellings.

In some areas of the country, known generally as “designated areas,” permitted development rights are more restricted. For example, if you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a World Heritage Site, or an Article 4 designated area (an area where the government has removed these rights at request of your local council) — you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.

A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project and guide you on your permitted development requirements.

Retrospective Planning Permission

If you made a change to your property that requires planning permission and you did not receive approval, a local authority can request that you submit a retrospective planning application for the work that you have already carried out. The local authority will make the request to the owner or occupier of the land concerned. Although   a local authority may ask for a planning application to be submitted, that does not mean that planning permission will automatically be granted — and the application will be treated in the usual way.

If the retrospective application is refused, the local authority can issue an enforcement notice which requires you to put things back as they were.

Let your neighbours know  about  work  you  intend to carry out to your property. They are likely to be as concerned about work that might affect them as you would be about changes that might affect your enjoyment of your own property.

For example, your building work could take away some of their light or spoil a view from their windows. If the work you carry out seriously overshadows a neighbour’s window and that window has been there for 20 years or more, you may be affecting his or her “right to light” and you could be open to legal action. It is best to consult your planning consultants if you think you need advice about this.

You may be able to meet some of your neighbour’s worries by modifying your proposals. Even if you decide not to change what you want to do, it is usually better to have told your neighbours what you are proposing before you apply for planning permission or before building work starts.

If you do need to make a planning application for the work you want to carry out, the council will ask your neighbours for their views.

If you or any of the people you are employing to do the work need to go on to a neighbour’s property, you will, of course, need to obtain his or her consent before doing so.

Design & Material

Everybody’s taste varies and different styles will suit different types of property. Nevertheless, a well-designed building or extension is likely to be much more attractive to you and to your neighbours. It is also likely to add more value to your house when you sell it. It is therefore worth thinking carefully about how your property will look after the work is finished.

Extensions often look better if they use the same materials and are in a similar  style  to  the  buildings  that are already there. It is impossible to give a single definition of good design in this context, as there may   be many ways of producing a good result. In some areas, the council’s planning department issues design guides or other advisory leaflets that may help you. You may wish to consider using a suitably, qualified, skilled and experienced designer.



More Blogs .....

Do I need planning permission for Internal changes to my property?

Are you unsure if you need to get planning permission for your porperty? This blog give you an insight of  what you need to know about planning permission for internal changes.

What are the different types of loft extension that I can build ?

If you want to extend you house by building a loft extension then you should read this blog first. There are many different loft extension which might sounds similar but look different. It’s best to be sure on what’s best for you!

I have just completed converting a house into an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation)

Did you know there are more than just one type of HMO Licence? Read more about how HMO works and the different requirements needed for an HMO.

I have Permitted Development Rights for a ground floor rear extension...meaning I do not need to apply for planning permission. So can I just build it?

Did you know Permitted Development Rights (PD) isn’t all you need for planning to build on your property? Read this article which explains what exactly more you need and the limitations you have when building despite PD.

Do I have a chance of getting permission for a rear ground floor extension after my neighbours objections got me refused the first time…

Read more about what options you have when planning permission get refused first time due to neighbours objections…

Can I change my restaurant in to an office after being severely impacted by covid-19 ? Will I need planning permission to do so ?

Been affected by covid-19? Looking to chnage your business, transform a space to fit your current projects? Read on to see if your able to change your space without planning permision.

Can I get a side extension on the ground floor or first floor when I live in a detached house?

Live in a detached house ? Wondering if its possible to get a side extension ? Here is everything you need to know…

Contact Us

The High Cross Centre
Fountayne Road
London N15 4BE

020 8802 3480